Thursday, August 16, 2012

My First Skincare Review

Skincare is just as important as Fashion
I recently did an overhaul on my skincare products, I mean I threw out everything. Why? because nothing was working. Mind you I never had problem skin, my skin type is oily/combination and would breakout occasionally. Before I had no problem using these products like, Aveeno clear complexion facial wash, Skin Milk Facial Moisturizer, Clean & Clear persa gel 10, Freeman Mask and St. Ives Apricot Scrub daily. So when my skin started to misbehave from stress or whatever, I literally freaked out and began looking for new skincare products. At first I was only looking at the dermastore for high end dermatologist brand skin care products, then I decided forget about that and go all natural and buy organic items. Well I learned a lot about different ingredients for my "issues" so I ended up with a bit of both. I have only been using these products for about a month and half, yet the result have been great!! My skin is finally clearing up and going back to normal. Below you will find my skincare routine and product reviews.



My Daily Morning Routine
Wash with Grandpa's Thylox Acne Treatment Soap with Sulfur
 Tone with  Now Foods Vitamin C & Acai Berry Purifying Toner
Moisturize with Swanson's Clear Complexion Cream
My Daily Night Routine
Wash with Specific Beauty Clarifying Wash Acne Treatment Cleanser
Tone with Boots Botanics Skin Brightening Toner
Moisturize with Reviva Labs Night Cream 
Facial Treatments
I use all four masks throughout the week, I know it seems like a lot, but it works for my skin. I use the clay mask one a week to detoxify, the Aubrey and Earth Science mask twice a week to exfoliate, and the Boot intensive moisture mask whenever I need to replenish my skin. I also started using my Clean and Clear persa gel again, but I'm only using it every other day since it makes my skin overly sensitive.

Reviews
Cleansers  
Specific Beauty  Clarifying Wash Acne Treatment Cleanser
4.5/5
Price : $14.00 BUY
Review : Your basic 2% salicylic acid wash . When I first started using it I used it in the morning and at night and ignored the instruction, as expected it dried out my skin so much. So now I only use it at night, now my skin is not as dry and it helps prevent breakouts. The only problem I have with it the fact that it bleaches my face towel (my new face towels!!). But that's normal for any salicylic acid based face wash to do. Other than that I will continue using it until it's all gone.
Grandpa's Thylox Acne Treatment Soap with Sulfur
4.5 /5
Price : $5.84 BUY
Review : It's a good alternative morning facial wash since I can't use Specific Beauty in the morning and at night. The box says to use this soap twice a day ...well I can't do that. So the results may of varied because of this but I've notice my pores are getting smaller, which is ... great!! Since the main active ingredient is sulfur, guess what it smells like sulfur and you have to leave it on for one minute. If you can deal that, I say try it.
Toners
Now Foods Vitamin C & Acai Berry Purifying Toner
5/5
Price : $8.99 BUY
Review : Best Toner EVER. I really love this toner, it's very light with a refreshing orange citrus scent. Since using it I have noticed that my skin less oilier and a lot brighter. It doesn't strip or sting my skin at all.  But I haven't noticed any change with my dark marks, regardless I will be buying it again. 
Boots Botanics Skin Brightening Toner
2.5/5
Price : $7.29 BUY
Review : I just brought this last week and so far it is not one of my favorites. It does sting a little when I apply it and after I feel like my face is covered in a sticky mask. But with this toner I have noticed that it does lighten my dark marks, probably because of the Alpha Hydroxy Acid(AHA). Since I really don't like that sticky feeling, I'm just going to replace this with something else with AHA in it.

Masks

Earth Science Papaya-Gylcolic Gentle Skin Peel
3/5
Price : $14.95 BUY
Review : I'll start with the scent first on this one. Honestly it smells like some organic chemical, thankful it fades as it dries. I do like the results, it left my skin is seriously smooth but I think I'm going replace it with something like a pumpkin peel just because it started to separate and smell worst. 

Now Foods 100% European Clay Powder Mask
4/5
Price : $5.99 BUY
Review :  Let's Mix Mud... that's basically what you have to do to create this mask and something I'm not used to. This is 100% mud or clay .. or whatever. It smells like it and it feels like it too, well a smoother more refined version of it. OK sure I'm complaining because I hate the process of mixing it together with water and/or essential oil. But after I'm done using it my skin is perfectly toned and smooth, so maybe I shouldn't be complaining because it's much better clay mask than Freeman. Tip do not apply to open pore, it will itch like hell.

Aubrey Sea Buckthorn & Cucumber Moisturizing Mask
4/5
Price : $9.43  BUY
Review : This mask is seriously two for the price of one, I use it as my weekly scrub and mask. It's a grainy kind of mask that smell like cucumbers and leave my skin moisturized. By moisturized, it makes my skin slick smooth, like fingers slipping off smooth and I honestly have no idea why lol. The only complaint that I have about it is that it has started to separate, maybe because it's all natural.

Boots 7 Intensive Moisture Hydration Intensive Face Mask
4.5/5
Price $19.99 BUY
Review : I only use this when my skin looks really tired or when it needs some moisture because this mask is really heavy. I do sometimes use it overnight, but only a very thin layer of it, so I can wake up with extra smooth and moisturized skin. Oh and I sometimes use it before I apply my make up for a more dewy look.

Moisturizers 

 Swanson's Clear Complexion Cream with Aloe Vera, Colostrum & Tea Tree Oil
5/5
Price : $9.99 BUY 
Review : This day cream is really light and absorbs fast. It also moisturizes, helps keep skin clear and it's super reasonable. Just wish it had at least 15 SPF :( 
Anyways I will be buying this again and soon.

Reviva Labs Alpha Lipoic Acid, Vitamin C Ester & DMAE Cream 
5/5
Price : $23.00 BUY 
Review : Love this moisturizer!! The results are sooo good, when I wake up in the morning my skin is always plump and smooth. When I first got it I was so worried that it would be oily and break me out. But it's not oily at all, it's actually very light and it absorbs into my skin really fast. Definitely buying it again.

Overall : I'm happy with what I brought, these products helped me clear my skin and make it much healthier. Even though I'll be replacing some of them, I'm still glad I tried them. Now off to buy and try more ....

Photo via Fashion Gone Rouge

No comments:

Post a Comment